Monday, August 20, 2012

CrossBreed Holster Review



I've been using this holster off and on for about a year and highly recommend it. I currently have 3 holsters for the Kahr CW9 and they all work well. The CrossBreed Supertuck Deluxe is my favorite for IWB carry and IMO works the best.

I'm a fan of  this holster because it's wide and spreads the weight out across your belt. Instead of having the load drag one portion of your belt/pants down the weight is distributed more evenly. There is also less movement along the belt with this holster vs some of the narrower ones I've used.

The SuperTuck does a very good job of keeping the gun close to the body. This should be a given with a IWB holster but I have others that let the gun print and I can carry my CW9 in the CrossBreed even in a t shirt without it showing.

Retention is very good and I have no worries about the gun falling out in normal use. If I had a job in which I was climbing ladders or crawling under houses all day I would probably go with something with a strap. For normal daily carry however this is a very good choice.

According to the Daywalker it's the love handles that provide the retention but I disagree and think that:
1) It's just a well designed holster and
2) She needs a few more chores.

BTW,  you have two weeks to return it for a refund if it doesn't work for you.

If you go to the CrossBreed website http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/List/0/ProductID/1/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName
 you'll see that the holster comes with the SteelClip belt clip. It's an updated version of their earlier metal clip which I think was called the SnapLok.
I believe that I have the earlier version of this belt clip and while it worked pretty good I did have a little bending. I changed over to their J Hooks. So far I prefer the J Hooks to their original metal clips and I think that they work better with the thin 5.11 belts that I usually wear.
3 versions of their clips are available and I would like to see them eventually include straps like some of their competitors.
The belt clips can be adjusted for height as there are 3 holes on either side for positioning.


Horsehide (Add $15) or cowhide backing material is available. The horsehide is said to be more moisture resistant. The one shown to the left is cowhide. The holster portion is Kydex and there is a full length channel for the front sight.




This holster comes with the Combat Cut option. Material is cut away under the pistol grip to allow for a faster draw. The Combat Cut may sacrifice some comfort and increases the cost by $7.50. If I had to do it again I'd probably get the horsehide and fore go the combat cut.  I think it's a good idea but I'd probably rather have the comfort and extra material.

CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe with J Hooks and Combat Cutout










I tried a Galco shoulder holster for the Kahr for a few months and have been trying out a Ruger LCR for CCW off and on. I've come back to the CrossBreed and the Kahr since this is the most comfortable and concealable option that I have.  I have no complaints about this holster and  I would highly recommend it if you are deciding on IWB carry.

My CCW pistol doesn't have a manual safety. Instead it has a long double action trigger pull. One consideration that I always have when picking out a holster is can the holster material accidently get into the trigger guard and cause an accidental discharge. The odds are against this happening but there are a few stories posted on the internet by gentlemen that have had this unfortunately happen to them.
I feel pretty confident in the safety of this holster with my firearm.

So what do you look for in a concealed carry holster?

Concealability (Duh)
Good retention
Comfort
Safety
Ease of draw and reholstering

This holster has all of this.

The price is currently $69.75 for the base holster without the horsehide, combat cut or J Clips.  It's not inexpensive and let's face it....it's kind of fugly.
It does however work very well and if you can't carry comfortably then you're not going to carry regularly.
I think it's worth the money and the lifetime warranty is a nice extra.

More Gun And Knife Reviews On This Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment