Monday, September 21, 2020

How To Choose a Holster



This was a pretty good video. For whatever it's worth, this is my experience with carrying.

I'll start from the bottom to the top in regards to holsters. Remember that most of this is just my personal experience, but some of the information seems to be considered standard across the firearms community.
  As you've no doubt guessed, you'll have to dress around your gun.
 
  They say that almost any gun is better than no gun. Almost any means of carrying your gun is better than leaving it at home. Obviously safe and secure carrying is a must.

  I don't like ankle holsters. I have very little experience with them, and I'm just not a fan. Some of that is due to being somewhat fat in addition to being somewhat arthritic. It's a long reach to my ankle. With that said, it doesn't matter who you are. Drawing from an ankle holster is slow. You generally have to either kneel or bend over at the waist to draw. This doesn't put you in a good position in a close confrontation. I suppose that you could raise your leg up in order to draw, but that puts you on one leg. 
  I suppose that it might be decent (although still slow) proposition for someone in a seated position.
  Ankle carry is no doubt better than leaving your gun at home, and it may be the best solution depending upon your attire. It remains pretty far down the list for me though.

  Thigh holsters aren't my thing either. They seem to be used mostly by goofy bastards, or those that are carrying enough gear on their belt or vest that there is no room for a holster. Drop leg holsters make sense in that regard. I think that they would be suitable for those stuck in a vehicle for long periods. No doubt the draw would be faster than with most forms of waist carry for those in an automobile. 

  IWB (Inside Waistband) holsters keep your weapon closer to the body, and generally make them more concealable that OWB. The holster will be situated somewhere behind the hipbone on your strong side. IWB carry works really well for most of us.

  OWB (Outside Waistband) carry is usually more comfortable and faster than IWB in my opinion. Concealment isn't quite as good. 
  Unless you're open carrying with some form of duty holster, you'll position the holster somewhere behind the hip bone on your strong side. 4 O'clock or so is the norm. I prefer OBW carry in the winter when I can wear a light jacket over the holster. 

  Cross Draw holsters aren't seen a lot anymore. I think that they're pretty good for those that are seated a lot such as Uber drivers. The gun is very accessible. One complaint is that the gun is TOO accessible to an assailant during a struggle. 

  Appendix Carry is the new hotness. All of the cool kids are doing it. Drawing is very fast, but I really don't like having my gun pointed at my femoral artery or package. To each his own. 

  Pocket Carry is also slow as Hell. I use pocket carry quite a bit with a Ruger LCP II. There's a few things to consider. Use a pocket holster that is specifically made for your model of firearm. This will help ensure that the weapon remains IN the holster while it's in your pocket. It will also help keep the weapon oriented in the proper direction instead of having the gun swim around in your pocket. A good pocket holster will ensure that the trigger guard is always covered, the weapon is pointed in the right direction while inside the pocket, and the outline of the gun is broken up by the holster.
  Nothing else should be in that pocket except for the firearm and the holster. YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT ANYTHING TO GET INTO THE TRIGGER GUARD. 
Bear in mind (depending upon your pants) that when you sit down the weapon may lay along your upper thigh, and point at the person across from you. This is a huge deal.

  I have a few shoulder holsters, but don't use them a lot. I think that they're pretty comfortable, and secure. The draw is slow, and the weapon is usually pointed directly at whatever is behind you. It's imperative that the trigger guard be covered at all times. This is true for all holsters, but especially true for pocket carry, appendix carry, and when using shoulder holsters.

  No matter what holster is used, it should remain in place when the handgun is drawn. The holster should cover the trigger guard in order to prevent an accidental discharge, and it should have whatever level of retention is desired. 

  So sayeth the internet, and the decade or so that I have regularly carrying concealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment