Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Putting Together A Range Bag

This sounds like something that couldn't be more basic but I've seen the topic pop up on other forums. I also had a new gun owner recently ask me what to put in a cleaning kit and range bag.
Everyone starts somewhere and even the basic stuff doesn't seem so basic after buying your first gun.
I suppose it's like packing a suitcase. Everyone has their own spin own what's necessary. I go a little overboard with what I put in my range bag but most of the time I shoot at a private range. Their policy is that guests have to stay with the members so if there's anything that we need while shooting it requires us to pack everything up and go back to my truck or the office. Packing up because I ran out of targets or some other gear is a PITA. Middle aged fat men don't like extra walking.
I generally just use a tool bag instead of buying an actual range bag. They're almost always less expensive, pretty heavy duty and have a decent amount of pockets. They also usually have a good strong shoulder strap on them. After putting a couple of hundred rounds of ammo in your bag you'll see why you need a decent shoulder strap.
If someone notices the bag in my truck then hopefully it is not worth breaking into my vehicle for what is probably a bunch of cheap tools. On the other hand a bag that has Glock written all over it may lead to a broken window and missing guns.
I keep a separate bag for the pistol and rifle range because it's easier and I'm a little OCD about having what I need, when I need it.

Pistol Range Bag:

Safety glasses and spares
Earplugs/earmuffs and extras
Small cleaning kit and oil
Small brass hammer and wooden dowel (For 9mm/.38spl barrels) for squib loads
Small screwdriver set
Allen wrench set (Metric and Standard)
Torx wrench set
Multi tool
Black & White pasties
Stapler
Small pair of binoculars
Snap caps (.22lr, 9mm, 38spl)
Clean rags
Targets
Insect repellent
Aleve
Magazine loading tool, 1 mag pouch, 1 universal holster (Just because)

Rifle Range Bag:

Safety glasses and spares
Earplugs/earmuffs and extras
Small cleaning kit and oil
Small screwdriver set
Allen wrench set (Metric and Standard)
Torx wrench set
Multi tool
Black & White pasties
Stapler
Small pair of binoculars
Spotting scope
Snap caps (.22lr and .223)
Broken cartridge extractor (.223)
Clean rags
Targets
Insect repellent
Aleve
Sling

I'll probably go back and edit this over and over. I'm sure there's a few things that I've forgotten. If I get really motivated I'll dump out one of my bags and add some pictures.
I started carrying a camera to the range since my daughter began shooting regularly a few years ago. It comes in handy for more than just recording memories.
I've used it a few times with new shooters that were constantly changing their grip or flinching. It really helps them to see what they're doing wrong.
You should have a first aid kit of some kind in your bag as well. This is especially true if your range is off of the beaten path.  I'll leave it to others to suggest what should be in it but it's worth remembering that you're packing for the shooting range instead of the normal home mishaps. I switch a first aid kit from range bag to range bag depending on what I'm shooting.

As I said in the beginning, I go a little overboard but everything in those 2 bags is there because it's been needed a time or two (Except for the first aid kid...knock on wood).
Squib loads happen, people forget eyes or ears, scopes loosen up, etc.
I'm sure that I'll keep adding little things to the setup and some of you probably have some good suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment