Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Spyderco Manix 2 Review



   It's not often that I get a chance to review something that I find almost perfect. It's even rarer when I find such a product that is affordable (at least for me).
  I've had this Spyderco Manix 2 for about a year now. It's the last EDC knife that I've purchased. That's saying something because I have a drawer full of pocket knives, and stopped buying new ones after receiving this Spyderco.

  Let's start off with the specs:

Weight:                  4.25oz
Overall Length:     8"
Closed Length:     4.625"
Blade Length:       3.375"
Cutting Edge:        2.875"
Blade Steel:           CPM S30V (154CM in the reviewed blade)
Blade Thickness:   .125"
Handle Material:    G10
Made In The USA

  Perhaps I should start off by mentioning that this is a larger knife than what most people will choose for daily carry. It's a little heavy at 4.25oz, and this will be a deal breaker for some. I wouldn't want to lug this blade around if I wore a suit every day, but it's fine for carrying in jean pockets or work pants. I usually don't notice that I have it on me.

  You get a lot of knife for the size and weight. Honestly, it's more than I need on 9 out of 10 days.
Spyderco is still covered in sand in these pics
 

  I generally alternate between carrying a SOG Aegis and a Spyderco Manix 2. It just depends on my mood, and what I'm doing. The SOG is at the light weight end of the spectrum, and the Spyderco is definitely much heavier. Of course the Manix 2 is a stronger knife.
  Even with the clear difference in heft, I find myself grabbing the Manix 2 more often than not.

  If you can deal with the 4.25 ounces then this is probably the last EDC knife that you'll need to buy. If you can't deal with the weight of the standard model, then there is a lightweight version that comes in at 3oz.
 

  I suspect that the 3oz version will be under my tree this upcoming Christmas (just because you can't have enough toys).

  Spyderco has several different versions of this blade, and prices vary from model to model. The Manix 2 shown in the pics  runs about $110. Less expensive versions with the black handle/stainless blade can be found for under $80. I suggest checking out Nutnfancy's YouTube channel for discount codes, and vendors before ordering. He does a great job of taking care of his viewers and subscribers.
 

  I generally don't use my knives that hard. There was however a chance this month to put a bit of wear on my Spyderco. I spent a couple of days working on a patio project, and cut open a lot of bags of sand and cement with this knife. It was also used it to cut up some old PVC rain gutters.  In hindsight, it would have been smarter to use a less expensive folder.
  That's a change from opening mail, or cutting up my fatboy sandwiches at work.

  The knife came through it OK, although the blade was severely dulled (as expected). The edge came back after about 20 minutes of sharpening with a pair of Arkansas stones that I've had for years. I wouldn't compare it to the kind of edge that Cold Steel puts on a knife, but I'm pretty happy with the sharpness.
  BTW, the Manix 2 came very sharp out of the box. That's not always true with some manufacturers.

  The black DLC (Diamond Like Coating) held up very well despite being used to cut open bags of sand and cement. A lot more wear was expected.

 I noticed that the Spyderco website claims that the steel liners are milled out. That's not the case with my knife. It's good that they are constantly updating this product.

  This EDC knife has a very solid feel. Part of that is no doubt due to the weight, and size of the knife. Most of the solidness simply comes from being well made. The blade locks up tightly. There is just a hint of side to side movement when the blade is deployed. There is no movement front to back, and there's almost perfect centering when the blade is closed.


  You'll note that there is a finger choil  if you want to shift your grip further forward for more delicate tasks.


  This Spyderco comes with G10 scales. Traction is OK on the scales, but I'd prefer a higher traction G10 like what you find on Cold Steel's knives. I don't really have any complaints about the G10 scales. They could just be a little better.

  The shape of the scales is simply outstanding. This knife really fits the hand well. The finger grooves are well positioned, and I can't say enough good things about the feel of the handle. The edges of the scales are nicely radiused.
  BTW, I managed to use this knife with gloved hands while doing my patio project.

 
  There's jimping  everywhere. The spine of the blade has about an inch of very good jimping. There's also roughly 2" along the back of the handle and at the inside of the handle where your little finger rests. You'll note that the finger choil also has jimping. (is there a synonym for jimping?).
  I can find no traction issues with this knife. None, nada, zip, zero.
 

  The pocket clip is set up for tip up carry only. It's reversible for right or left handed users. I don't have any real complaints about the clip, but I'd prefer something that allows a little deeper carry. The SOG Aegis sets the standard for pocket clips in my opinion.
 Soooo... I'd give the clip an "OK." It's one of the few things on this knife that I don't rate at almost 100%.

  There is a large lanyard hole adjacent to the clip. I generally don't use a lanyard, but as this knife was over $100, I would if there was a chance of losing it.
 
  There's a 14mm hole in the blade where you would normally find a thumb stud. I'll admit that I didn't care for it at first, and would have preferred a thumb stud. As time has passed, I find myself liking the thumb hole more and more. I'm still deciding which I prefer more, the thumb hole or thumb stud.

  Blade deployment is as fast as you can make it. As this is a manual knife, it's all up to you. A slight flick of the wrist while using the thumb hole will have the blade deploying extremely fast. You can also pull down on the ball lock while flicking your wrist. One handed opening and closing is not a problem. I also had no issues opening or closing the blade when using gloves. That's very unusual with most of the EDC knives that I own.

  I really like the Ball Bearing Lock on this model. I've been a fan of this kind of system since I got my first Benchmade Mini Griptilian.  Yes, the locks are different... kind of. I just like the location of the lock, and the ease of use. The fact that it's self adjusting for wear is a huge plus.
  I have no fear of the blade closing on my hand. Is it as strong as a lock back? I don't know, but it's strong enough for any task that I'll use it for.

  I generally carry this knife when wearing jeans. There's no problem with it printing in my pocket. I never really thought about my pocket knives printing until I noticed a CRKT really showing. 

  I'd recommend the Spyderco Manix 2. I think that it will do almost anything that you need a solid, well made blade for. It's not small, light, or inexpensive. It is also not fragile, or something that you would worry about failing during most tasks.
  Get one, you won't regret it.

  Other Gun And Knife Reviews On This Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment